Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fried Rice



There are a couple recipes I make when I don't know what else to make. One is fried rice, TBG's fave.  I am not Asian, and have never taken a cooking class or anything else so this is just my version.  I love to have leftovers for work so I make a lot when I make it. I also have a really big skillet which helps.  I have never tried to make this in a wok or anything else.  I have tried to make this healthier with brown rice but it's just not as good.  I have also used low sodium soy sauce, but ended up just using more.

Serves 4-5

4c white rice (better if it's leftover or sits on the stove awhile)
2 tbls canola oil
1 tbs sesame oil (optional)
3 cloves garlic (I use more, but we really like garlic!)
1-2 tbls grated ginger depending on your taste
5 eggs
1 large chicken breast
1-2 c of whatever veggies I have around; peas, baby corn, carrots, zucchini, mung bean sprouts...
soy sauce (I use almost a whole bottle every time)



Heat the canola oil, add garlic and ginger.  Tip: freeze the ginger to make grating easier. Saute for 1-2 min then add chicken. While the chicken is browning add the sesame oil if using, and about a tablespoon of soy sauce. If using a veggie that needs cooked longer like carrots or zucchini add now too. I usually add the peas or bean sprouts right before the rice. When everything is cooked add the rice and stir well. If the rice looks dry you can add more oil or a couple slabs of butter. There are two ways to do the eggs, you can scramble them then pour them into the rice, or break them into the pan then scramble. I do not like to dirty extra dishes so I move the rice to the side then break and scramble the eggs right there. Really up to you. Add enough soy sauce to make the whole thing wet, stir well. Let cook another 1-2 min then serve with more soy sauce. TBG also adds Sriacha if you like it spicy.





















Hope you enjoy, leave me a comment if you have any questions.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment